Everybody gets denied the first time, right?

No, that is not true, everybody does NOT get denied the first time. Some people are so sure their disability claim will be denied they come in angry and sabotage their own claim. They are sure their claim will be denied because either they were denied before, or because “everyone” says you will get denied. Approximately 40% of the applications filed are approved the first time. Now you may be thinking 40% isn’t good, you may be thinking you will be in the other 60% that get denied. Maybe you will be denied, but instead of thinking negatively, turn that worry into positive action. Learn about the disability application process before you file, and learn what you can do to increase your chances of getting approved.

If you were denied before, don’t be so sure you will be denied again. This time you’re older than you were before, and it’s likely your condition has gotten worse. Give the interviewer a chance to do a good job. And if you are well prepared for the interview, you can help complete the paperwork so that you have a better chance of being approved.

Things people do that they shouldn’t:

  • Act angry with the interviewer from the start
  • Refuse to provide information about medical treatment
  • Refuse to put any effort into thinking about answers to the interviewers questions
  • Argue about the questions the interviewer asks

Yes, people do these things, and more, every day. It doesn’t help your claim to be uncooperative or argumentative. The claims representative has limited time for each interview. If you reply to each question with an argument or answers like “I don’t know” or “I can’t remember”, you are taking longer than necessary, and the claims representative may end up skipping over details that could help your case just to finish the interview. No, it wouldn’t be right, but it happens.

Things you should do:

  • Prepare yourself ahead of time for the interview
  • Be reasonably pleasant
  • If you don’t understand something, ask for an explanation
  • Answer questions as best you can
  • Say things like “I think it was about a year ago” instead of “I can’t remember”

Because the people who decide if you are disabled, or not disabled, don’t actually see you, the interviewer has to make observations about you for them. They write in things about you that give visual clues to the people who make the decision on your claim. If you are unpleasant and difficult, the interviewer is less likely to make observations that could help you. It shouldn’t be that way, but they are human, so don’t give them a reason to make a comment that would get you denied.